Improving Care With Good Communication Records

On Friday 11th May, Chuck injured his fore knee after having his new shoes fitted. Totally self-inflicted through play but it caused a nasty gash and lameness which required immediate treatment. Amy from Equitait was on the scene within hours, applied stiches plus a few staples and protected his entire leg with a sturdy bandage. He was put under 5 days box rest.   We’ve manage such an injury before, but never through the app…

Communicating the injury

We used equibuddy to communicate his injury to everyone in the team by snapping an horse-antibiotic-medsimage of the wound into his log book.  The vet’s visit and treatment were recorded and a paper medication schedule set up to track his drug treatment with a note to alert everyone to fill it in. Adding images of the medication to be taken and stating where it was stored was also incredibly useful for the team.

Tracking the healing process

4 days later when Chuck’s first bandage change took place, we snapped an image of the leg-injurywound into the app to track how it was healing.  We also added Amy into Chuck’s community and noted her mobile number in the thread to record which vet was treating him (very useful for future reference).

4 days later and the bandage was ready for another change.  A quick image upload allowed us to benchmark how the injury was healing.  To keep Amy and the team informed, we logged that his medication had finished on the Wed, horse-leg-medication-schedule-completedthat the bandage was secure and dry and that his stitches and staples were on track to be removed on Tues 22nd May.

When the bandage was next changed, we logged Amy’s update: that the drain hole at the bottom of the injury had broken down a little and had small amounts of pus in situ, but that the sides of the wound were healing well.  We also noted down that Amy recommended 4 additional days of antibiotics and a new dressing.

When the dressing was removed 4 days later there was a little discharge on the pad but a huge improvement from the previous change was evident.  The wound was healing well and Amy removed his stitches/staples with due care.  The wound was cleaned over and we snapped another image into his log book as a point of reference.

Amy advised that Chuck be turned out to keep the wound dry and to protect it with Filtabac cream.   Now it’s a case of keeping a close eye on his leg for lameness, discharge or swelling which could indicate infection has returned.

chuck-turned-out-and-recoveringHowever, he is enjoying being out of box rest and coping well with the overreach boot on his opposite leg and all in all, seems to be well on the road to a successful recovery.

How the app helped

In summary, quick communication, having points of reference to review and logging everything for the team involved in his care have all saved time and effort during these past 2 weeks.  A lot of this could have been managed in WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger, but using the app meant the leg wound could only belong to Chuck (how many headless / bodypart images of horses do we have on our phones) and the entire treatment has a timeline. It leaves us a record of where the injury was and the treatment undergone should anything happen to that leg in the future.

This morning, I sent a photo of the now healed wound to Amy via the app, she is pleased with the outcome and it has saved her a trip out to review him today, a successful outcome for everyone involved.